Monday, May 20, 2013

Spring Diptych


Thought I'd share another side of my painting journey with you. Very different than my usual..no? Painted after being under the weather a couple winters back. It was gray and drizzly--had been for awhile.  So when I finally got back in the studio I found myself painting something joyful - needed some spring around me.

I began with the left canvas-not thinking diptych at that point  Using a long round, I began drawing and swirling loosely, making big gestures, flowing lines and abstract shapes.  The 'flowers' evolved on their own. It was like watching film develop. Worked in paint and pastel, juggling between wide and skinny brushes.

About two-thirds of the way it became obvious it would be a two-piece canvas (36x48).  The funny thing is the second half was pretty hard to paint.  Trying to get the rhythm and energy to match the first was a challenge (it's easier to work on both canvases at the same time when you want to make a diptych).
What a ride!

No comments: