Sunday, May 12, 2013

Dana Point Plein-Air Painting



The model was standing at the surfs edge


Just home from a three-day workshop with Peggy Kroll Roberts in Dana Point  -what a gorgeous spot- and the weather was great. I don't do a lot of plein air.  It is very different painting where people walk by, stand behind you to watch, talk with you.  I don't mind it when I'm in a group like this, but not as comfy when alone.

It's a challenge to work with an instructor who paints in a very different style but learning new techniques helps me grow.  There is always something I can apply to my own work. The studies are still wet so I left them with my friend Linda, who generously hosted me while I was in Orange County. Can't wait to get into the studio tomorrow and do some new work.




3 comments:

Cathy Engberg said...

Hi Mary!
How exciting! I LOVE PKR! I hope to some day take one of her workshops. I'm so happy that you were able to do so! Do you think it was worth it? She is the top of my list right now. But it's too far to travel this year.

I like the photos. Thanks for sharing!

Fay Terry said...

What a great post, Mary. I am so glad you shared these terrific pics. I am really quite envious because I have heard so many good things about this teacher. I can't wait to see your new work.

Mary Valente said...

Gals, definitely take one of her workshops. I took one years ago - at Robin Knowlton gallery in Lodi (which has now become a wine destination!). A friend and I shared a nice room, the class etc. Peggy is so fabulous. Generous with information and attention. She taught two back-to-back classes down there. The first 3 days they had bad weather - had to move to another town to someone's studio; the second 3 days we had good weather (well for Plein Air) - sometimes windy, sometimes a bit hot but overall beautiful. I was covered from head to toe to keep the sun off. Luckly the sea breeze made it OK. I will admit I struggled a bit trying to lay down a complete painting in 20 minutes (lots of warm ups the first day) but that's OK. Brought home some new tools for the 'toolbox'. Thanks for writing