Sunday, August 19, 2012

Painting tip: Palette for Oil Paint....and a viewing hint

Blog Viewing Hint:  when you receive a blog update with a new painting, click on the image and a large, cleaner, brighter picture will pop up.  The colors are truer.

Palette for oils:  I've been asked what I kind of palette I use for my oil paints...and how to store excess paint, so here you go...     There are dozens of options. Over the years, I've used a variety of palettes but I'm really happy with my most recent palette choice--very simply, glass --a clear piece of glass that I put in my old plastic palette paper box.  I line the box with a piece of cardboard then set the glass in.   Got the glass from an old picture frame, 11x`14".   Or you can have one cut to fit the box or any size you want.  I like having a little extra room between the glass and box edge to lift it easily. 

You can put your fresh paint around the edges of the glass and mix your colors in the middle.  When you are ready to wrap up for the day, merely wipe up the middle and pop the lid on.  Some folks put their covered paints (box or other palette) in the fridge or freezer; they can keep a long while that way.  If I'm going to be painting daily, I just clean the glass, cover and leave it in the studio. If the paint does get dry and hard, use a razor scraper.  ez.   Let me know if you have any questions.....

No comments: