Thursday, August 2, 2012

Elena & B #2

   6x6" oil            _________??    click image to enlarge
This is the second painting of several I plan to do of Elena and pal "B".  I began it yesterday but it was way too dull with little pep to it.  The colors were muted - too gray; the girls and background all sort of blended together. Today I brought the colors up (more saturated) and am happier with it.  Lots of funny shadows all over the arms and legs to deal work out. Not sure what to name this; any suggestions? The girls are looking at something inside the pail...and I forgot to ask what.
(btw, does it bother you that the background it blue..and not real (local) color/brown?

Two weeks+ since last post - geez!  But I have a good excuse - attended a color workshop.  Crazy -four full days and never made a painting. A technical workshop about the properties of color: hue/value/chroma (aka saturation/intensity).  I know a lot about hue and value but didn't have my head around chroma..and am still grappling with it.

1 comment:

Maria Bennett Hock said...

Love this one..the gestures and great. The blue works for me...the shadows still anchor the figures and the blue really showcases the girls.