Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Sneak preview - and two Painter's Tips

Two peeks at a new piece started a few days ago. Worked on it most of today, except when I was having a friendly (I hope) FB debate with my ol' pal Charlie.

What fun this new project is. In my typical schizophrenic style, from last week to this, I went from using 6x6" to 36x48" canvas, oil to acrylic, realism to abstraction (shoot, I'll never be a famous "landscape" or "still-life" or "portrait" painter.... too confining. Will post the final soon.

Painter's (Green) Tip: You never have to throw away paint.
Tip 1: When you finish painting, cover you palette and acrylic paints, with waxed paper, pat down the edges to the palette and pop in the freezer for a day, a month - or longer (trust me on this...and don't ask me how one can forget /not notice a big pan full of paint....). Before you cover it, wipe off the thin, used areas of paint - keep the big blobs of clean or mixed paint.
Tip 2: Another way to use up all your leftover paint - prime any new canvases/board etc. you have laying around. Don't worry about it being all one color, smooth, thin, missing places Whatever you have left - wipe across your next to paint surface. Eventually you can cover completely with your next painting...or let little surprise color highlights pop through.

No comments: