Monday, January 6, 2014

Anders Zorn

OK - there are a lot of amazing painters ...both current and historic, that impress me. And I greatly appreciate those who have broken ground and push boundaries.  But...this weekend I spent a joyful couple of hours basking in one of the most breathtaking exhibits I've every seen.  I got to 'meet' Anders Zorn....a master painter I had not heard of until a couple of months ago (why am I sharing my ignorance here?!).

While all his varied genres captivated my attention (colorful country scenes, portraits of European and American politicians and socialites... as well as local rural folk) I was most enthralled by his outlandish ability to paint an entire scene using white and make it so incredibly rich, complex and ..'colorful'.

For example, in this he had his wife (new bride) pose, incorporating white in the gown, upholstery, lace curtains, table cloth, outdoor light etc.  I could have stood and looked at this painting forever.  The layers of watercolor work is amazing.  You have to see it in person to realize all that is going on here - the multiple layers of fabric and folds. White upon whites.





This smaller work was one of my favorites  Just a white dress and the shoulders and face of his model (wife).  So simple and yet so full of information...a sense of sharing an intimate moment with this young woman, a feeling, a story being told...



Zorn was just a kid -15- when he entered the Art Academy in Stockholm; by 20 he had dropped out of school to accept commissioned paintings and travel extensively.  He is one of those lucky individuals born with a rare talent. They make it all seem so effortless - his sense of composition and line, his ability to capture the delicate nature of the skin's texture, the blush of a cheek, the wet, shiny surface of the eye..whether with water colors or oil.  He even did some sculpture. And many etchings.

The image below is of his mother and step-sister.  If you see it in person, you'll see the glimming shine in the mother's eye, the high edge of the cheekbone. Almost like a photo but with a tenderness and warmth unique to his work.


Well, obviously, I'm a big fan.  If you haven't yet seen the exhibit and have time, get over to the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.  The show only runs through Feb. 2.

Here are just a couple more images.  Can't help it - I'm hooked.   Thanks for indulging me.






2 comments:

Mary Valente said...

testing testing

Kim Stenberg said...

I am a huge fan of Anders Zorn too. I am thinking of going to Sweden just to visit his museum in Mora!