Monday, March 26, 2012

Simply...Pears

                         Pears Resting #1        acrylic 6x6"
Tried a couple new tricks today.  Well, really old techniques but with a slightly different twist.  My usual approach, unless making an abstract, is to mark in my subject with tan or burnt umber, then paint in most of the dark areas (shadows) moving to the lights and then adding some touches of highlight or color for interest.  I did that today too but, based on a tip from artist Peggy Kroll-Roberts, I first mixed up large quantities of the colors I wanted rather than mixing as I go.  And, secondly, I used a flat brush (vs. a bright which I normally use) and loaded it with lots of paint - making long thick strokes.  Also I let go of lots of the detail - so that it's not 'photo realistic'.  These lighter value paintings are called 'high key'.  I tend to enjoy working in light colors in general; though dark backgrounds create more drama.

No comments: