Thursday, May 27, 2010

Peonies - finally

(Double click to enlarge image).
At UC, one instructor said "Sometimes a canvas seems to be jinxed. After several attempts at your painting, you are ready to throw in the towel. You can even white it out and start anew but, alas, the bad mojo stay" For awhile that seemed to be the case with this crazy painting... but I was determined.

Every day the darn peonies changed shape dramatically. Luckily, I had taken a photo the first day so I had a reference of the original subject blooms.

And the canvas seemed to be fighting the brush. Not sure exactly why but one flower would develop easily--the brush flying through the 'feel' of a zillion fragile petals (e.g. lower right); then the next bloom would be a two day struggle - and end up like mush; I'd have to redo-redo-redo until it seemed right. And the background - it has evolved from a burnt gold to a gray-blue-t0...now this cream/tan. Perhaps part of the problem is that I'm not an impressionist - so while my plan was to work quickly, using values rather than details to give the impression of the flowers, my inner 'realism' voice kept trying to take over. So I guess you can all this a hybrid. To see the original fresh flowers just scroll down.


No comments: