Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Impressionism anyone?

(click to enlarge). The De Young museum opens with the Impressionists exhibit this week. Can't wait to see it. While looking at some fresh peonies I bought at Trader Joe's (a splurge - their my favorites!) they called to me - so decided to try an impressionistic painting.
Working with acrylics, since they dry fast, and I felt these blooms would change dramatically in a couple of days. But - whoa- could they be more detailed? So many petals upon petals upon petals.. all almost the same color.
So, here's a glimpse of my first 'impressionist' efforts. I thought I'd share it now because sometimes I get to this point with a new technique - where I like it 'so far' but then before I know it - it goes downhill. (ahrrr)

But either way, I'll be brave and post the final - whether or not I'm satisfied with it. That's only fair ...and anyway it's about the process and learning...AND having fun!

1 comment:

Matthew George said...

Mary , this painting turned out just gorgeous! Such a nostalgic feeling of crisp curtains in a cool summer breeze....


Art Gallery