Wednesday, July 31, 2013

a la Ken Auster..."Surfer"



When taking art classes at UC and the Art Academy we were encouraged to learn by copying the works of artists we admire. You can really figure out how to achieve new techniques--albeit with a lot of trial and error.  I painted this by copying Ken Auster's original; Ken's a Southern California artist whose work I greatly admire.  Some of the effects I loved about his piece... that I tried here:  the way the windmill is somewhat hidden by the slightly overcast morning light even as the sun is beginning to shine.  Also how the 'gray' walls are full of color...scratched into the surface and so much more.  It's not easy - you don't know the  type of brushes, paints, color mixing etc. that the original painter used, but it's amazing how you can get similar results even if your 'recipe' is slightly different.   It was great fun and I learned a ton.  Hope you enjoy it!

No comments: