Monday, February 28, 2011

Warm-ups work (remember my challenge?)

Lemon Studies (click to enlarge).
Did you painters out there try the 15 minute challenge warm-ups? When I went into the studio Saturday, I brought down my kitchen timer, a little lemon and rushed out four 15 minute studies (top row); the next day I did three 10 minute studies (bottom row). You can see I "saw" the colors of the meyer better the second day - made them warmer, more orange.

You can bet I felt stiff for the first couple attempts.... then free and loose by the end. There are plenty of changes I would make with more time (let me know the changes you would make if you were working on them: lemon, background); it's hard not to fuss over each -- you need to stop when that timer rings. You can see that we're not aiming for 'perfect' here. But to be able to get that little meyer lemon down in 10 minutes feels good. Gets you ready to jump into something bigger with it's own challenges. From this I went on to paint a little still life of flowers (the remains of a bouquet). I'll post that tomorrow.

No comments: