Thursday, August 5, 2010

Painting -Before & After: color mixing

Cherry-licious! redo 6x6" - oil

Today I reworked two little paintings that I did a couple of weeks ago. This is the first I reworked (new is on bottom): changed color combination and added a more distinct back and fore ground.

Which do you like better? Is it the color combo that affects how you feel about them?

Sometimes I look around my studio and find pieces that don't quite make me happy. I use them as "practice' pieces --trying out new brush strokes, colors, composition etc.

Some artists really hate doing this; if a piece doesn't work they destroy it. But for me, working an 'old' painting I'm not satisfied with gives me a feeling of freedom. It's not like that precious white new canvas. If I think of it as recycling for practice sake - I'm free to experiment - get crazy. Sometimes I do this multiple times (experiment; not 'get crazy'!). The end result is always a surprise.


No comments: