Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My Muse



I've wanted to do a big abstract figure for a long time.  Last week I finally decided to tackle it. As I was looking for a reference photo I came across this of my granddaughter Elena.  Her pose called to me  ...comfy and totally absorbed.  I can't recall why she was wearing her cheongsam... sometimes you just don't need a reason to put on your special souvenir.

As you can see this painting was not about replicating the features or the outfit or the setting.  The photo was strictly a reference for post and posture....and the feeling I got from it.





I used three tools:  a big stubby round (see below--great for covering large areas, blending edges, getting circular texture)....a 3" good quality house painting brush.....and a palette knife.



There are a zillion layers on this canvas.  If you click on it you may be able to see some of the texture.  I purposely started with an old painting I'd never finished. Also, I chose acrylic rather than oil because it allows me to get a lot of layering done in a much shorter time.  I used gel medium to help extend the paint for big areas of negative space.
Finally - our empty wall will have something on it!




No comments: