Monday, May 2, 2011

Spring II - part of the Open Studio exhibit

Spring II. 30 x 48 diptych acrylic on canvas, (click to enlarge)
The other day I posted Spring I; this diptych is part of the same series. I began these paintings during a long dreary rainy spell, needing to put some color into my day. Abstract yet recognizable these pieces are less about the subject than they are about the feeling the subject inspired in me.
The levels of energy, movement and color in the Spring series are quite a contrast with work I did last year which were very still and quiet. In those previous pieces, faintly sketched subjects sat gently against pale smooth backgrounds.
I've found that over the years in my studio, the cycles of the seasons, my moods, what is going on in my life is continually reflected in my work. I guess it's a therapy of a sort.

No comments: