Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Any suggestions?


Would love your input! If you were about to take your very first painting class - what would you like to know before you start painting?

Just go to the bottom of this new post, click the word comments - and you can type in your idea.

"Get Ready to Paint" class is being designed especially for folks who want to start painting but feel a bit overwhelmed about walking into their first class.

We'll cover tips that I wished I'd known when I started painting ( like how to prepare your canvas, clean your brushes, how to use 'turps', palette choices etc). I'm sure I've forgotten half of what I didn't know. That's where you come in.

So -send along your ideas - and I'll add them to the program.
And if you know someone who might like this course - let them know.
Riley's -Fourth Street, San Rafael - January 31st
Tam District Community Ed - April 10th

Can't wait to hear your suggestions.
Mary
p.s. you can read others comments by clicking on same comment link.

2 comments:

DupSwapDrop said...

Some things that I would want to know are:

- What are the advantages or disadvantages of the various types of media, (oil/acrylic/pastel on canvas/paper/board etcetera), in terms of cost, speed, ease of use, safety, messiness, durability, marketability, etcetera?

- What are the essential basic tools that I need versus "fun to play with" tools?

- What can I combine? Oil over acrylic? Pastel over watercolor? Acrylic over oil?

Darcy Ellsworth Yow said...

I like what "Watcher" above said. What about also the most appropriate medium for certain subjects (landscape, portraits, abstract, etc.)?

You've probably already thought about this, but I would ask the students on the first day what their own priorities are, too. Why did they sign up? What are they hoping to learn? What has their past experience with art in general and painting specifically been?

Good luck and have fun!